Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Accessioning of a CD and its photos.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Hansmann
      Participant

We at the Castle Rock History Museum have in our possession a collection of photographs (36+)taken by an employee on company time. They were downloaded to our computer hard-drive and I now want to copy them to a CD, thumb drive, or both. We also have hard copies of a half a dozen of them which are currently part of a temporary exhibit.
      My question is: How do i accession these items and assign numbers to them, both the CD and any photos printed from the CD?

JIM

Tasha Seren
      Participant

Hi Jim,
      I don’t know what your numbering scheme or cataloguing system is, but I would accession this as one record with sub-parts. I would create a master record with suffix extensions (example: 2015.CRHM.001.a-.h). This indicates that the “artwork” or object consists of 8 parts in total (one master – the CD which is indicated by the main record .001), and the thumb drive and prints become the sub records by using suffix extensions (.a-.h). I would physically label the sleeve of the CD with the full accession number and lightly in pencil on the back of each print, I would label each 2015.CRHM.001.a; 2015.CRHM.001.b; 2015.CRHM.001.c and so on. The same procedure applies to creating a record in a database. I would create a master record and additional sub-records.
      That is how I would handle it. I hope this helps.
      Best regards,
      -Tasha

Jim Hansmann
      Participant

Thanks Tasha, some good ideas.

JIM

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.