Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Traveling Exhibit

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristine Madras
      Participant

We have an exhibit set to be on display from April to July at an international airport. I have been fighting back and forth with myself if some of our more valuable items should go. They are in good condition. There will be security in the area, but if there is not an attendant stationed at the exhibit, I feel more prone to send reproductions instead of original pieces. Any advice?

Thank you,

Kristine

Malia
      Participant

Hello Kristine,

Assuming everything will be in a vitrine or behind glass / plexiglas, I think security would not be a major concern. A benefit is people with long layovers may have lots of time to appreciate your display. However, as with most public art exhibitions, you may have very little to no control over the lighting, temperature and humidity. So, depending on the type of materials you are considering for the display, this may be an issue. There are examples of international airports with successful exhibition programs. I believe the San Francisco airport has their own public art collection and Denver airport hosts exhibitions. You might check with either of them regarding your concerns or ask for contact with other museums who have lent to the venue you will be working with.

Hope this helps,
      Malia

Kristine Madras
      Participant

HI Malia,
      Great idea! I will definitely check out the San Francisco airport! Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!

Kristine

Susan-1

Kristine,

You might check with your insurance broker. For traveling exhibits, there are usually specific security requirements depending upon the value of the objects that are included in the exhibit. For instance for items of a certain level of value, insurance may require closed vitrines and a security guard at all times, while items of lesser value may only require closed vitrines and regular, periodic inspection of the exhibit. If you are feeling uncomfortable about the situation, your broker may be able to provide you with guidance.

And Malia’s suggestion about checking with the San Francisco and Denver airports is a very good idea.

Susan

Lissa
      Participant

Hi Kristine,

I would also consider how long your exhibit is going to be up relating to how much light exposure it will receive. There are some methods for mitigating the light damage, such as UV film on vitrines, putting “blinders” on the vitrines (specifically, covering the top and back with something opaque), or filters on the lights most immediately near the exhibition. Additionally, you may be able to ask the airport if they’re willing to remove the bulbs in the lights nearest your exhibit so you can have greater control of the light. Another consideration is how you’ll create microclimates for controlling relative humidity. Typically, although not always, airports lean toward very dry environments. There are many articles on innovative ways to do this, the most simple being to place some inexpensive silica beads or packets in the vitrines. These are reusable and can be conditioned with water to help maintain rH. Here is a National Park Service Conserve-O-Gram about using silica packets this way. Another option is Carusorb packets or a similar medium available from museum and archives supply resources. This is a potassium based pellet solution for “absorbing gaseous and corrosive contaminants in exhibit cases”- (Gaylord product listing). There is a good paper on microclimates available free online from the American Institute for Conservation at by Gretchen Anderson. And finally, talk to your airport about the easiest way for you to schedule exhibit checkins so you can monitor conditions. If you don’t have hand held devices for checking rH and light, at minimum you can use humidity cards somewhere inside the vitrines. If you aren’t able to create an environment more friendly to your valuable pieces, then go with reproductions.

Kristine Madras
      Participant

Thank you Susan and Lissa. I appreciate everyone’s advice very much!

Kristine

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.