Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

safe paint

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Melody Marshall
      Participant

Hi – I’m purchasing raw steel mesh to attach to our collection storage wall to store our artwork on. Does anyone have any suggestions of what kind of paint to use to either paint or spray-paint on the steel mesh that will not off-gas in the collection room?

Thank you,
      Melody
      South Dakota

Louise Stewart Beck
      Participant

Hi Melody,

Ideally, the paint that you select will be one that has been Oddy tested. The AIC wiki maintains a user-generated list of materials which have been tested, and the results are categorized as Pass/P/Suitable for Permanent Use, Temporary Pass/T/Suitable for Temporary Use, or Fail/F. Here is a link to the section of the list pertaining to paints and sealants: http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Oddy_Test_Results:_Exhibition_Paints_and_Sealants

Looking at that list, there are a couple of aerosols or spray paints that received full “Pass” marks, but not many:
      – Halford’s Enamel Spray Paint, Grey
      – Halford’s Primer Spray Paint, White

There are many more non-spray paints that pass.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Best,
      Louise

Melody Marshall
      Participant

Thank you Louise. Wow, what a list! Ok, I have more questions, if you can answer. I’m up to not just spray paints but paint you paint on with brush. So I was looking at list. I see a lot of the Pass paints -spray and non-spray lists drying time: 4 weeks minimum.

What does the material
      *Mirotone polyurethane coatings mean by “in vitrine or case” or “outside vitrine or case”. They also state they are “suitable for permanent use” – a coating -paint & primer.

*PaintPlus Colour Systems says the same thing

*Pure Performance Acylic Latex -paint/coating “for use in exhibit cases, test run at 60 degree C for 4 weeks” (Their test for a 4 week period in a display case -correct)? Ag -good, Cu-no change or slight change, Pb-slight change in middle?? all mean what?

*Sancure 878 also had read the same as Pure Performance.

**Terostat, 9220 by Henkel Teroson – Pass – MS Polymer, Black- Drying time: 48 hours, test #7644 -Material type, sealant – Comments: None

Could this Terostat sealant work?? It would be sealing the raw steel and any rust or such on the new steel mesh? It has only 48 hours drying time – for this time of year in South Dakota that would be great. I would have to wait until summer to use another product.

*Dulux trade Vinyl, matt emulsion – Pass – water based acrylic Copolymer, dark grey -Drying time: 4 weeks -Coating, paint -Comments: none

*Halfords -spray paint – drying time: 4 weeks

Any comments or suggestions on these products from the list on what some of descriptions mean.

Thank you,
      Melody
      South Dakota

Louise Stewart Beck
      Participant

Hi Melody,

The drying time as listed in the table is how long they allowed the sample to dry before performing the test. Things that are not allowed adequate time to initially off-gas may fail the test, but this does not reflect on their actual long-term stability if they then would not off-gas further. Conversely, using materials which indicate Pass but not allowing them to dry for as long as the test indicates may allow them to off-gas into your storage or display and cause damage.

The statements regarding outside/inside cases are suggestions on whether a given material is safe enough for those purposes – some things may off-gas just too much to be considered safe in a closed case, but for open exhibit spaces will not cause damage.

For the Pure Performance Acrylic Latex, they are describing their testing protocol and results – this is a good summary of the test: http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Oddy_Test Which may answer some of your questions about what their statements mean.

Here is the Terostat sealant: http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802621751297 Unfortunately I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for, it’s more of a caulk.

The PaintPlus Color Systems and Mirotone Polyurethane Coatings both look like they would be suitable in a storage situation (as opposed to a more enclosed display case).

I hope this helps, happy to answer any more questions you have!

Best,
      Louise

Melody Marshall
      Participant

Hi Louise,
      Thanks again for your great advice and expertise!

Read all your comments and followed up with the links. That was really interesting to read about the Oddy testing. Saw about the Terostate sealant -was hoping they meant that it was a topcoat sealant! instead a caulk.

Ok, so besides the choice of the two Halford’s Enamel Spray paint in grey or white, what are some recommendations for using just a paint coating?? Could I go with the PaintPlus Color System an Pirotone Polyurethan coatings OR is there a better non-spray paint you would recommend?

I will just have to wait till summer or find a large heated area to paint the two 4×8 mesh units and store them for the four weeks.

OR can I just use the steel mesh in its raw form? Would the metal itself off-gas onto the art work or would it be better to coat it with something?

Looking forward to your reply.
      Thanks,
      Melody

Louise Stewart Beck
      Participant

Hi Melody,

Sorry for the delayed response – I hope your holidays have been nice.

Any of the paints that are indicated as ‘Pass – Permanent Use’ on the list would be fine. I have not personally painted for storage before, so I cannot give a further recommendation, unfortunately. That said the PaintPlus and Mirotone both look fine, so if you can manage the off-gassing time they should suffice.

The steel mesh in its raw form will not off-gas, but whether or not to use it depends on what type of steel it is, what types of art/artifacts you plan on hanging on it, and how much contact there is going to be between the steel and the artifacts. Things to avoid specifically include placing dissimilar metals in contact with each other.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,
      Louise

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.