Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Paper next to wood in exhibit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Carolyn Schimandle
      Participant

I started working at my current location after exhibits using some of the collections objects were already installed. The people who created the exhibits did not know a lot about care of various materials. They placed paper items, including old seed packets, books, and single sheets of paper, directly in old wooden prune crates with nothing between the paper and the wood. The prune boxes are hung on the walls like shelves, and covered with plexi. The plexi cover does not fit closely to the box, which is probably a blessing because at least the acids from the wood aren’t confined in a sealed space. I’m most concerned about the paper directly in contact with wood. I’m hoping to do something unobtrusive to counteract the acid from the wood, since I have already gotten resistance after suggesting that the boxes be totally lined. Would a small piece of buffered paper or tissue underneath each paper object help in keeping acid damage at bay?

Carolyn Schimandle
      Participant

Here is image of one of the exhibits. Plexi was added after this was taken, apparently.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Douglas Sanders
      Participant

How long are the exhibits up for? I’d be more inclined to worry about light exposure. I realize there’s a rule of thumb against paper and wood, but with the age of these crates, one gets diminishing effects of acidity and oxidative damage, particularly as you say with the ventilation you’ve got. The buffered paper will help, but not have much effect during the time frame of a standard 3-6 month exhibit.

Anne Schaffer
      Participant

I agree with Douglas that the immediate/short-term effect on the objects may be minimal due to the age of the crates. That said, there’s no harm in placing an interleaving of buffered tissue or Mylar between the wood and paper, particularly if the exhibits are permanent.

Carolyn Schimandle
      Participant

Thanks, Douglas and Anne! And thank you for reminding me, Douglas, that the paper objects really should be cycled out to reduce light damage. I think exhibits were intended to be permanent, though planning to this point has been haphazard. And I will put a little buffered paper under each just in case, but prune crates are at least 72 years old, so maybe I’m being overly concerned.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.