Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Motorcycle decal peeling

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Diane
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

I have a motorcycle in my collection with large side decals. They have started to peel off. Does anyone know the best way to re-attach them?

Diane
      Participant

Here is a photo for reference.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Annabelle Fichtner
      Participant

Hello, Diane! Could you tell us what type of material the decal is made of?

Diane
      Participant

Hi Annabelle,

The decal is plastic as it the part of the bike it is/was attached to.

Annabelle Fichtner
      Participant

Diane, I’m sorry about the delayed response! I’ve done some additional research. Are you able to identify the specific type of plastic? Are the decal and the part of the bike it’s attached to the same type of plastic? If you are unable to identify that specifically (as different adhesives and solvents will react differently with different types, and spot tests are not suggested) could you make a temporary support or for the decal that could be attached to the bike some other way?

Adhesive Compendium for Conservation by Jane Down is a very helpful book for this topic, and the following is an excerpt from the chapter on plastics, written by Julia Fenn:

Repairing valued plastics, especially thermoplastics, with proprietary adhesives is extremely risky; there are so many unknowns. Given the difficulty in recognizing and avoiding the pitfalls and the irreversible consequences of e1Tor, it should not be undertaken lightly. It is often safer to prevent loss and differential warping by securing broken or cracked pieces to customized supports until better adhesive systems can be identified.

Diane
      Participant

Thank you Annabelle! That is helpful.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.