Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Gloves

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ann Schempp
      Participant

I switched to nitrile gloves last year for all collection handling. I have had some push back from one volunteer. The gloves make his hands sweat and he is refusing to wear them. I have even tried the flocked lined ones. Does anyone know of a solution or is this just par for the course with these gloves?

Jeannie Whited
      Participant

I recall back when nitrile glove use first started being a thing, some of us wore cotton gloves under them to deal with the sweat. That lasted maybe a day on my part. It just makes you realize how bulky the cotton gloves really are, and how little feel you have in them. That was years ago, and I’ve never looked back.

Evelyn
      Participant

they do make your hands sweat at times. I remember hearing on a podcast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guuNdCtdHis that one solution is to wear the cotton gloves and a pair of nitrile over them, helps with the sweating

Evelyn
      Participant

ooops should have read Jeannies reply first

Elizabeth McDermott
      Participant

Thanks for the input everyone!

Anne, let us know how it goes with the volunteer wearing cotton gloves underneath the nitrile gloves, as they are a bit awkward. Depending upon how agile the volunteer needs to be while wearing gloves, you could try a nice new pair of nitrile dipped cloth gloves, like the kind preparators will wear during an exhibition installation.

panderson32

One more suggestion: if gloves are worn solely to protect the collections, you can snip a small slit with sharp scissors in the palm area of the glove to let the moisture evaporate out. Obviously, don’t do this if you are working with solvents or any toxic material (when the purpose of the gloves is also protecting the hands).

Ann Schempp
      Participant

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I will give it a try. 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.