Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Collections Management Policy for a children's museum

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Susan-1

I am posting this for Nancy Johnson:

I am looking for a sample template for a Collections Management Policy for a children’s museum that does not have traditional collections. Do you have suggestions where I might find a template ?

Tammy Zavinski
      Participant

Hello Susan,

Thank you for contacting the Connecting to Collections online community with your request.

I personally do not know of a template for developing a collection management policy specific to a children’s museum with non-tradional collections.

I have contacted the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis folks because I thought their collections might qualify. https://www.childrensmuseum.org/contact

Here is what I have asked them.

“I am serving as monitor on the Connecting to Collection online community for those caring for collections. I have received a question that might be answered with your expertise.
      An objects conservator is seeking a template for developing a collection management policy for a children’s museum that does not have
      traditional collections. I thought your museum might qualify. Would you be willing to share information with her about developing your
      collection management policy and whether or not a template exists for developing one for your type of museum?”

I will contact you Susan on-list when I hear back from them.

Kind regards,
      Tammy

Susan-1

In response to Nancy Johnson’s question, these resources might be useful:

AAM’s Reference Guide, Developing a Collections Management Policy

NPS Museum Collections Management Checklists

Finland’s National Board of Antiquities’ A Checklist for Museum Collections Management Policy

And you might find these publications from the Collections Council for Australia:
      Thinking about Collections Policy

Significance 2.0

I hope these help.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.