Connecting to Collections Care Online Community

Accession Numbers on Leather

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Meggi M
      Participant

Hello! I have a question about applying accession numbers to finished and unfinished leather. I’ve seen some use of acryloid B72 on the leather soles of shoes and, correct me if I’m wrong, but would removing the number with acetone not damage the leather and dye? I’ve also seen acryloid used directly on unfinished leather (e.g. the inside of an old leather bag) which I think presents a similar problem.

Are my theories correct? If so, is there a way for a non-conservator like myself to remove the numbers without creating a mess? Lastly, is it possible to apply a physical accession number to a leather object at all, or is it a paper tags only material? My research is pointing toward tags, but I can’t find anything 100% definitive. Advice is much appreciated!

Malia
      Participant

Hi Meggi,

I think your theories are correct. Leather will absorb the B72 and using a solvent to remove it will likely cause a change in color and possibly finish. Best to consult a conservator if you go this route. Since the numbers are already on the objects, is it necessary to remove them? I think removal may cause more damage than leaving the numbers in place. Paper tags are probably your safest option, but you will have to find a way to conceal them if and when the objects are on display. Depending on the type of object, i.e. the old leather bag, perhaps there is stitching on the inside that you could sew a number on textile twill tape or Tyvek to (as you would label textiles).

Malia

Meggi M
      Participant

Thank you for your response Malia. The numbers do have to come off unfortunately as I am about to begin the process of deaccessioning a large number of shoes from our overpopulated collection.

It seems my next step is to try to get the numbers off with as little residual damage as possible so that the shoes can retain some of their value to another institution (or to wherever they go next).

Thanks again!

Leslei Fisher
      Participant

This is very helpful, thank you all.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Connecting to Collections Care Forum Archives – 2015 through 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.